Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Fleet

There are times in my life when I do a pretty good job of getting things done, maintaining my health, being socially acceptable, staying out of trouble, and...oh yeah...raising four kids and running a household.   
 These people I live with make that a pretty easy job.
I have a mostly effortless, mostly abundant, mostly amazing life...
 
...even the chaos around here is pretty fun, and I can still manage to keep it together and smile...
...I can mostly manage to keep my little hamster wheel moving at a steady pace...
...until sometimes...when I can't...

Sometimes, I have to call for help.  The past few months I have been less than what I could have been.  I've been complaining too much, writing fluffy posts, letting friendships slip...along with a million other things that have quietly slipped...and gradually that little wheel started to get bigger than I could manage on my own.  When that happens, guess what I usually do?  I push everyone else off the darn thing and just try to run faster and keep it going all by myself.  That usually isn't the best plan...

A few weeks ago, I decided to stop trying to be SUPER hamster and continue to run on that crazy wheel all by myself.  I realized that it would take a whole fleet of other hamsters to help me get this wheel moving at a normal, maintainable pace again.  That was the best realization I have ever had.  (Keep in mind that I didn't exactly get there on my own.  My favorite hamster companion sort of nudged me in that direction, and circumstances sort of compelled me there.  But the point is, I got there.  And I'm staying...)

The last few weeks have been difficult, challenging, vulnerable, and exhausting, but so much better than the past several months of running on that thing all by myself.   There are so many people ,more willing and more capable than I ever want to admit, who are available to help me.  This week, I have felt the comfort and safety of the small, hand-picked fleet I've chosen to surround myself with.  I am so grateful for each one of them, but mostly for the Scout Master who never gives up and never lets me give up.  He is the best SUPER hamster companion ever, and I am eternally grateful that he's always willing to stay on this crazy ride with me.     


No comments:

Post a Comment