Thursday, August 30, 2012

Good Enough

I read this today on one of the blogs I follow...
The Happiness Project
...isn't it weird how sometimes the whole universe testifies of whatever thing you most need to work on?  That's been the message of the week apparently.  I've read it in books and magazines.  I've heard it on TV.  I've received emails about slowing down, relaxing, not being in constant motion.

On Sunday, right after the Scout Master finished the kids' school blessings, we were all just sort of hanging around.  Kids had been hugged.  First day advice had been given.  No one was really jumping up to go anywhere.  And the "blessing giver" was still standing there next to that very inviting, very empty chair.  So guess what I did?  I jumped in it!   Well...I'm starting a new school year, too, right?  (sort of...)  I always find it an honor and a privilege to receive a priesthood blessing, so I always jump at the chance to get one.   And I'm almost always startled at how personal and relevant they are to whatever my challenges are at the moment, even the ones I haven't talked about.  In this one, the Scout Master mentioned several things that I've been thinking about...his travel schedule, the kids' school schedule, my lack of one.  But then he said something about not being stressed out this week as I prepare for my mom's visit.  

(OK...inserting here that it is NOT stressful for me to have my mom here.  I'm SO excited about her visit, even though it's way too short.)  

BUT the Scout Master knows me. And I know me.  We both know how I think, and stress, and plan, and clean, and then spontaneously combust when guests of any kind are coming over, especially when they're sleeping here.  The cleaning frenzy that I typically go into has been known to leave a pretty big wake of very stressed out family members behind. 

I'm not sure why I'm such a perfectionist or why it matters to me so much what the house looks like.  But the fact is, I am and it does.  After hearing that on Sunday, though, I had a very clear thought that if my mother walked in the door unexpectedly, right at that moment, two things would be true...


1.  My house would be neither filthy nor disgusting.
and 
2.  She wouldn't care.

Let's face it, I'm a pretty clean, pretty organized kind of a girl.  I don't love clutter or messy kitchens and I make my kids do weekly jobs to cover all the things I don't actually enjoy doing myself (toilets and microwaves.)  So, it's not like we're going to be appearing on that Hoarders show anytime soon.   And...!  My mother is not coming to inspect my house.  She might notice a stray dust bunny or a few dishes that haven't made it into the dishwasher yet, but she wouldn't say anything.  In fact, she wouldn't even think anything.  She's coming to see my family not my house.

So, I decided Sunday night that I was going to just let it be good enough this time.  I was not going to turn this week into a mad rush of fixing, tidying and straightening.  I'm not cleaning out my closet or re-organizing the pantry.  I'm not pressure washing the blinds or having the carpet cleaned.  I might not even get those darn pictures up on the wall.  Instead, I'm going to breathe.  And I'm going to worry about the things that are important...like the other people in my house.  Like clean sheets on the bed and good food in the kitchen.  Like the part where I'm going be able to introduce her to the people we love this time, and the part where she's coming to the first AHS football game with us on Friday night!  And like how glad I am that she's coming all the way from Hawaii to visit us!!  

The house is already good enough.  It doesn't need to be perfect.  She'll be here in less than 12 hours and I'm not rushing around trying to make it perfect.  I'm just visualizing a happy, relaxing weekend...with my mom!




4 comments:

  1. I clicked on your name from Clover Lane...:) Love your Happiness Project quote. I'm with you. Every once in awhile I just need to STOP rushing. Glad you could you enjoy time with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! <3 So glad you came over to check out my blog. I love visitors!

      Delete
  2. Love it! For me it is "pushing" not rushing, I push myself beyond my capabilities, ok, not any more I have really worked on that. I too get the "school" blessing and I love it! But with both kids now grown up and not on regular schedules I am thinking about making it a New Years blessing for me to start off the year on the right path!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love becoming middle-aged and reflective?? I wish I had known all this stuff when I was 20! Good for you! I think we need to re-evaluate at least twice a year...in January and in September. Love you!

      Delete