Monday, December 13, 2010

Spell Girl's Talk

Yesterday at church, Spell Girl gave her first talk.  She did such a great job and I was so proud of her, that I thought I'd post it and let you read it.  

Christmas is my favorite holiday.  It is so much fun to get Christmas presents for my family. And everyone seems so happy in December.  
In President Monson's Christmas devotional last year, he said, "probably no other time of the year yields as many poignant memories as does Christmas.  The Christmases we remember best generally have little to do with worldly goods, but a lot to do with families, with love, and with compassion and caring."

In our family, we have had lots of happy Christmas memories.  A few years ago, we decided that we wanted to go caroling as a family to some of our neighbors.  We made some treats and we each picked one family to visit.  Most of them were people we didn't hang out with very often, so it was fun to see how surprised they were when they opened the door and we started singing.  One family that we went to was really happy to see us because they said that in ALL the years they had lived in Mendon, we were the first carolers they had ever had.  It made us feel really good to see how happy they were just because we sang a few Christmas songs. 


Another great Christmas memory I have happened last year.  My dad's side of the family all lives in Salt Lake City, so every year when we lived in Utah, we would drive down and have a big family party with all of our aunts, uncles, and cousins, and our grandparents.  Last year, my cousin, Jed, needed help with his Eagle project.  So, on Christmas Eve, we all got together and helped Jed tie tons of fleece blankets.  When we were finished, he ended up sending 60 blankets to an Indian reservation in AZ.  It was so fun to work on that project to help Jed and lots of other people.

President Monson also said, "finding the real joy of the season comes not in the hurrying and scurrying to get more done or in the purchasing of obligatory gifts.  Real joy comes as we show the love and compassion inspired by the Savior of the World, who said, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these, ye have done it unto me."


Yesterday, I went Christmas shopping with my mom and my sister, and I wondered how we started giving Christmas presents anyway.  But before I even had a chance to ask my mom, I thought of the answer.  Our gifts to each other are the way that we show love to people who are important to us.  And Heavenly Father showed his love to all of us by giving us the greatest gift of all on the First Christmas when the Savior was born.  
This Christmas we should remember what President Monson said and "we should feel the simple joys of commemorating the birth of the Babe in Bethlehem."  
I am thankful for the Savior and for the Christmas season when we get to think about him everywhere we go.  I know that He is the greatest Christmas present ever.

3 comments:

  1. 1. Your blog template looks great - so cute! WHERE in the world did you get the idea???

    2. More importantly, what a wonderful daughter you have!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Thanks! I borrowed it from my great blogger friend.
    and...
    2. Thanks! I actually have 3 of those wonderful daughters. They amaze me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great talk Meg!! Love you guys and miss you tons!!

    ReplyDelete