Thursday, December 9, 2010

Homeward Bound


I keep putting off posting anything in great detail about music because it's such an "almost sacred thing" for me.  Someday I'm sure I'll be inspired to write a worthy post about it, but until then, I'll just stick with small pieces of the awe and admiration I feel and the influence that it is daily in my life.  

My morning routine lately is to listen to the Book of Mormon on CD and then start the never ending chores...laundry, dishes, etc...  When the B of M CD is over, it automatically goes to the next CD which is the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Love is Spoken Here.   I LOVE this CD...really LOVE it.  The whole thing is amazing because it's the MoTab...
 Aside:  Somewhere in the middle of my "List of Things I Need to Do Before I Die" is to BE IN the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  It's been on the list for as long as I can remember.  I think I settled for the MoTab once I was old enough to realize that I wasn't ever going to be an Osmond.  (sigh) 
I have NO IDEA given my current talent and my current residence how that is ever going to happen, but it has been my experience that you can never underestimate the power of those desires of our hearts to become realities.  


...there's one song in particular on that CD, that always "calls me" from wherever I am.  

Homeward Bound
In the quiet misty morning
When the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing
And the sky is clear and red,
When the summer's ceased its gleaming
When the corn is past its prime,
When adventure's lost its meaning -
I'll be homeward bound in time

Bind me not to the pasture
Chain me not to the plow
Set me free to find my calling
And I'll return to you somehow

If you find it's me you're missing
If you're hoping I'll return,
To your thoughts I'll soon be listening,
In the road I'll stop and turn.
Then the wind will set me racing
As my journey nears its end
And the path I'll be retracing
When I'm homeward bound again.

Bind me not to the pasture
Chain me not to the plow
Set me free to find my calling
And I'll return to you somehow

In the quiet misty morning
When the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing
I'll be homeward bound again.

Weird, huh...that this song would BECKON the way it does.  I have lived in Rural America, but I've NEVER IN MY LIFE set foot in a pasture.  And a plow...really???   
Photo Courtesy of Karole Sorensen
I don't know what it is about this song, but it speaks to me every time I hear it.  I have to stop everything and listen, and then start it again and listen again.  Sometime, hopefully I'll figure out what it is that's calling me.  Until then, I'm just going to happily turn up the volume and immerse myself in the music.  

No comments:

Post a Comment