Monday, July 2, 2012

Surprises!!

Do you have any idea how hard it is for me to keep a secret??  (probably if you know me at all, you already know the answer to that!  It's DARN hard!!)  We've been keeping this secret at my house for a LONG time!...maybe a few months??  Only the two older girls and the Scout Master and I have known about this.  We didn't tell Mack because...well, he's 8...and he's worse at keeping a secret than I am.  


June's very best friend in the whole world lives in Utah.  They have been friends for years and they've known each other since they were toddlers.  When we moved in 2010 they were heartbroken to leave each other.  Last July, when we spent three weeks in Utah, June and BFF were seriously inseparable.  So this spring, BFF's mom and I started cooking up some plans to have BFF come to visit us for a little while this summer.   And guess what!  We did it!  (Thanks to the Scout Master for having frequent flyer miles.)


This morning we got a text from BFF's mom, "The chick has left the nest."  A couple hours later, the Scout Master and I drove to DFW to meet the chick at the airport.  Before we left, I gave June a list of chores to do...change out the laundry, unload the dishwasher, take the sheets off your bed...  She wasn't happy.  When she asked where we were going, I was very vague and just said we were going to pick up something (which was true.)  On my way out the door, she asked if I would text her friend's mom and see if she could come over today.  I pretended not to hear her and hurried out to the garage.  Phew...!


Since BFF is an unaccompanied minor, I got to go through security and wait right at the gate for her.  BFF's mom and I texted during the 20 minutes that I waited for the plane to land.  And then finally...the chick landed!!
     
As soon as I saw her plane, I started getting weepy.  And then I totally cried when I saw her walking toward the gate!


We stopped to get lunch for everyone on the way back home and then pulled up in from tof the house.  I stayed out in the car with BFF while the Scout Master went inside and asked June to come out and help with some "stuff."  She was still not very happy...and wondered what the heck I was doing with my camera in my hand...


...and then...






Look at that total surprise and joy on June's face.  How can you not love that??  She's SO happy!!  BFF will be staying with us until July 30th, so expect to see a LOT of pictures of her in the next few weeks.  We are so happy she's here.  

2 comments:

  1. Oh my heck, I totally CRIED reading this! What a wonderful, fabulous, fantastic thing to have done... you are seriously the best mom ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hopefully this makes up for a few of the not-so-fantastic days I have as a mom. :)

    ReplyDelete