Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

Top 10 Things I LOVE about Mother's Day...

10.  Breakfast in Bed
June woke up at 7:00 this morning to make breakfast for me before church.  I love that she did that.  It didn't even really matter to me that I don't love peanut butter or that I don't usually eat breakfast on Sunday mornings.  It was the BEST way to wake up EVER!!

9.  Hearts!
Last night, TCD and Spell Girl babysat 8 kids for 7 hours.  They got home at 1:30am!!  And THEN...they stayed up for another hour cutting out little hearts, writing sweet messages on them, and taping them up all over the kitchen, even though we all had to get up at 7:30 for church today.  Amazing! 


 
8.  Special Mothers Day Music in Sacrament
This morning, we had two amazing youth speakers who talked about their moms, and then the Primary sang We Often Go Walking and When We're Helping We're Happy (I love the tra la la la part in that song...so sweet!)  Right after the Primary, the youth sang which is always my favorite!  I got to play the piano for them, too, which is the best! because I get to be right up next to them and hear their beautiful voices.  

7.  Taking Naps on Sunday Afternoon
I always love Sunday naps.  But guilt free sleeping in the middle of the afternoon and not having to get up and fix dinner is even better!!

6.  Boston Creme Pie

It's such a bad, blurry picture, but it totally doesn't matter because it tasted SO good!!

5.  Hilarious Mother's Day Cards
4.  Cute Pictures Taped on my Door While I'm Napping

3.  Texts, Emails and Phone Calls
Yesterday I talked to my sister-in-law for an hour.  I love catching up with her and hearing about her insanely crazy, super fast paced, glamorous life.  This afternoon I received a million texts from people who I love wishing me a Happy Mother's Day.  And in a few hours, we'll call my mother-in-law.  I love that holidays bring everyone closer together...even when it feels like we're a million miles apart.

2.  Primary Necklaces
Several years ago, when all of my kids were still in Primary, they made cute little necklaces as Mother's Day gifts.  They each gave them to me in tiny little envelopes and I carefully put them in a safe place so that i could wear them every Mother's Day...except for June's. 
Somehow, hers got lost that year and I always felt guilty just wearing the other three, so I didn't wear any of them.  Last night, June saw the others and asked if I was going to wear them for Mother's Day this year, and once again, I told her no.  
Sometime between that conversation and this morning, she dug around in my scrapbook stuff, found some beads and a picture from about the same time as the others, measured a black ribbon the same length as the other necklaces and re-created something pretty darn close to the one I lost in 2005.  So, I happily wore all FOUR of my Primary necklaces to church today!  

1.  I LOVE being a mom.  I LOVE that my kids are still young enough to sing songs to me in church, but old enough to be thoughtful and come up with amazing gifts on their own.  I LOVE that they still like hanging out with me and that they all pile in my bed, or on the couch, or around the kitchen counter to pour out the details of their days.  I LOVE that these four people who live in my house call me mom and say my name 4 million times a day.  I am so grateful to be a mom everyday, not just on Mother's Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment