Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Truth of All Things

I have spent the last several days trying to get answers to specific questions.  (stupid, insignificant questions)  I've Googled.  I've asked experts.  I've polled the audience.  And mostly what I've gotten is frustration and a long trail of footprints that lead to places I don't want to be.  I've been consumed, grumpy, anxious, and impatient.  And still...after all of that effort and all of that wasted energy...no definite answers. 

I've never thought of myself as a fact finder,  You know, those scientific types who have to have everything proven and spelled out with concrete evidence before they can believe it?  That's typically not my style.  But apparently I have more of that in my personality than I realized.  

This morning, though, I realized that there are some things that don't have concrete answers.  Sometimes, you have to just be satisfied with the reassurance and comfort that comes only through the Holy Ghost.  This morning I realized that by only going to unreliable sources (like Google) I would only ever receive unreliable, frustrating answers.  Even my husband, who knows me better than most people, and who understands most of my concerns and frustrations, doesn't have all the answers.  He can't, because he doesn't have all the details.  Only Heavenly Father is aware of everything...every concern, every frustration, every desire of our hearts, no matter how seemingly insignificant. 

So I made some changes today.  I cleared my head.  I opened my scriptures.  And I was just quiet.  

And here's what I heard, "And by the power of the Holy Ghost, ye may know the truth of all things." (Moroni 10:5)

That's it.  I didn't get a spreadsheet or a dissertation.  I didn't get details.  I didn't even get a clear answer.  Instead, what I got was reassurance, hope, and motivation to keep doing what's right, to keep being in the places I'm supposed to be, and to keep listening.   

Be Good.  Be Patient.  Don't Forget. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment