Friday, June 24, 2011

Course Correction


It's amazing to me how many weaknesses I don't realize I have until they're brought to my attention in some unsuspecting way.  It's occasionally frustrating that just as soon as I feel like I can cross one of those weaknesses off my list, there's another one lurking around the corner...sometimes it's the same one.  Do you think there will ever be a time when they don't hound me??  Probably not.  

But this latest one, (although initially knocking me off my feet for a second), reminded me that I'm getting better at this whole "refining process" that insists on happening in my life.  This time, instead of reacting in my usual way (which is irrational and destructive), I was quiet long enough to think, "OK what can I learn from this?"  And here's what I remembered...

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."  Ether 12:27

Most of the time I stick pretty close to my Life Rules and I try to be where I'm supposed to be and do what I'm supposed to do, but every now and then I blaze a different trail.  Every now and then, I forget where everything comes from and I think that I'm smart enough to just figure stuff out on my own.  Every now and then I think that I've got this "life thing" down.  When I'm over confident, when I stop listening, when I forget my perspective, there are inevitable consequences.  

I definitely needed a little course correction and humbling this week.  And it worked.  It was difficult and messy and not the way I would like to be reminded to be humble in the future, but it was effective.  And hopefully next time, I won't have to be COMPELLED to be humble...I'll just remember to be humble on my own. 

I'm grateful that Heavenly Father provides not only weaknesses but ways to turn them into strengths.  I'm grateful that He loves us enough to let us fall sometimes so that we can figure out how to get back up.   I'm grateful for the knowledge and understanding I've been given and for the comfort and guidance that it is in my life everyday. 

BE GOOD.  BE PATIENT.  BE WHERE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE.  DON'T FORGET. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment