Sunday, September 30, 2012

Uninhibited

Yesterday morning, most of us slept in.  But bright and early at 10:00am I heard uninhibited singing coming from one of my kids' rooms.  I knew immediately which one it was.  I only have one child who is completely uninhibited.  She was still in bed with her iPod, singing at the top of her lungs...


I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark
we're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks
I really need you tonight
forever's gonna start tonight
once upon a time I was falling in love
now I'm only falling apart
there's nothing I can do
total eclipse of the heart

I had to sneak up close to the door so I could hear the words better...
...and take a quick picture

I was amazed by two things while I listened to her sing.

#1  She thinks this is a new song that only people between the ages of 12-18 know about.  I didn't want to ruin it by telling her that I sang that song everyday from 1983-1987.  Everything comes full circle, doesn't it?...even Bonne Tyler.

#2  I am pretty darn jealous of this girl's uninhibited-ness.  I was never like that growing up.  I always wanted to be, but I could never quite get past all the people I thought were looking at me.  June just doesn't care.  She's the one I ask to walk into the grocery store and grab a quick something when I look like a mess.  She's the one who always volunteers to ask the neighbors for a cup of milk or an egg when I run out.  She's the one who always jumps at the chance to be in a picture, perform in a talent show, or meet someone new.  She's been working all weekend on a Power Point presentation so that she can run for Choir President on Tuesday.  This girl is seriously unbelievable.  I love that she is sure of herself and confident in her abilities no matter what.  I love that she is adventurous and daring and that at the end of her middle school and high school years she will have had countless great experiences.  It was so fun to hear her singing at the top of her lungs just because she loved the song.   Someday maybe I'll be a little more like June and sing without any inhibition.  But for now, I'll just be content to lurk outside her door listening and wondering where in the heck she gets her fearlessness. 

1 comment:

  1. I think my comment got deleted...anyway, I LOVE that song and I love that your girl is just GOING FOR IT!

    ReplyDelete