Sunday, April 3, 2011

General Conference

I LOVE General Conference.  I look forward to the first weekends in April and October every year when we have the opportunity to hear from President Monson and the Apostles and General Authorities of the Church.   This weekend's Conference was amazing...as usual.   




My favorite talks were... 
I missed his talk on Saturday morning for reasons that you definitely don't want details about...garage sales, children wanting to sell their belongings, that's all I'm saying about this topic.  I was extraordinarily disappointed about that because he is my absolute favorite.  I know I shouldn't have favorites, but I have one, and it's President Eyring.  His are the words I look forward to.  His is the voice I recognize from anywhere in the house.  But even though I missed him this weekend, I did get to hear his talk in the General YW Broadcast last Saturday and I loved it...it was like a patriarchal blessing to all of the Young Women.  I'm so glad that I was able to sit next to two of my girls while I listened to it.  
You know from your own experience what a testimony is. President Joseph Fielding Smith taught that a testimony “is a convincing knowledge given by revelation to [a person] who humbly seeks the truth.” He said of testimony and the Holy Ghost, who brings that revelation, “Its convincing power is so great that there can be no doubt left in the mind when the Spirit has spoken. 
 

Testimony will come to you in pieces as parts of the whole truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ are confirmed. For instance, as you read and ponder the Book of Mormon, verses you have read before will appear new to you and bring new ideas. Your testimony will grow in breadth and in depth as the Holy Ghost confirms that they are true. Your living testimony will expand as you study, pray, and ponder in the scriptures.
I do not depend on what has happened in the past. To keep my living testimony of the Book of Mormon secure, I receive the promise of Moroni often. I don’t take that blessing of a testimony for granted as a perpetual entitlement.
Testimony requires the nurturing by the prayer of faith, the hungering for the word of God in the scriptures, and the obedience to the truth we have received. There is danger in neglecting prayer. There is danger to our testimony in only casual study and reading of the scriptures. They are necessary nutrients for our testimony.


"Desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions.  The desires we act on determine our changing, our achieving and our becoming. When we have a vision of what we can become, our desire and our power to act increase enormously." (wow!)

Oh, how I love this man!   He is direct and straightforward and he testifies with conviction.  Every conference, I anxiously await what he will say.  Today he spoke about Brigham Young and Ensign Peak and how the current Apostles and General Authorities are another example of an "ensign to the nations."  I LOVED that he said that we should reflect on the "unique phenomenon that is General Conference."  I always think that.  It is overwhelming and amazing to me to think that every member of the Church is, at that very moment, listening to the same talks and hymns that I am listening to.  It is uplifting and testimony building for me to hear the words of these inspired men and women that speak to me personally and address concerns and questions that I currently have.  "If we teach by the Spirit and you listen by the Spirit, some one of us will touch your circumstances sending a personal prophetic epistle just to you."  
My very favorite parts of his talk, though, were the part where he testified of the truthfulness of the things that had been spoken throughout the Conference and the part where he shared his love and support of President Monson.

And my very favorite talk...
Revelation is communication from God to His children on earth. It's one of the great blessings associated with the gift and constant companionship of the Holy Ghost.  Revelations are conveyed in a variety of ways, including dreams, visions, conversations with heavenly messengers and inspiration. Some revelations are received immediately and intensely — and others are recognized gradually and subtly.
Most frequently, revelation comes in small increments over time and is granted according to our desire, worthiness and preparation. Such communications from Heavenly Father gradually and gently 'distill upon [our souls] as the dews from heaven'" (Doctrine and Covenants 121:45).
I loved all the talks today, but those four were the ones that got my attention.  I am grateful for the technology that allows me to sit in my living room and watch this amazing Conference from 1200 miles away.  And I am especially grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who provides messengers whose voices make me stop and listen.  I hope to always be able to hear the things that they say.     

2 comments:

  1. Your favorites are also my favorites! And....President Eyring is my Mother-In-Law's cousin...pretty neat bit of information huh? :)

    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Haunani!
    LOVED Conference, too! We have been listening to your songs ALL morning long. It has been fun! Millie got Emma's last letter and has one ready to send back to her! :) Hopefully she will get it this next week. We are all fine here, and haing a fun spring break... yes, I can see the sun today! :) May Day is coming! Looking forward to seeing you in July!
    Lauri

    ReplyDelete