Friday, April 8, 2011

Lifting Up the Hands that Hang Down

You know those days that seem to have a theme???  When everything you hear and everything you think about seems to have the same underlying message??  

This was the song that played when I turned on the MP3 in my car this morning.

Raging Sea
Sometimes the journey makes you weary
Feels like a long and winding road
Sometimes this life can lose it's meaning
But you might be surprised to find some hope
Maybe you're wondering where love is
You may feel it's far away from here
Maybe you're wondering where I am
You might be surprised to find I'm near

Chorus:

And when your life is tossed and turning
And you're on the raging sea
I'll come and pull you from the water
Then you will know that you are free

So if you're stumbling through the valley

Or if you're tempted to give up the fight
Reach out your hand and I will lead you
I will be your strong arm in the night
 (Repeat Chorus)
I just put it on repeat and listened to it the whole time I was in the car...

When I came home, I heard this in the Conference Talk that I listened to...
President Spencer W. Kimball taught this concept when he said: “God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other.” 7 Brothers and sisters, we each have a covenant responsibility to be sensitive to the needs of others and serve as the Savior did—to reach out, bless, and uplift those around us.
Often, the answer to our prayer does not come while we’re on our knees but while we’re on our feet serving the Lord and serving those around us. Selfless acts of service and consecration refine our spirits, remove the scales from our spiritual eyes, and open the windows of heaven. By becoming the answer to someone’s prayer, we often find the answer to our own.
Do not doubt. Remember, “Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.” 13 God loves you. He hears your prayers. He speaks to His children and offers comfort, peace, and understanding to those who seek Him and honor Him by walking in His way.
My hands are not currently "hanging down."  I am not in a raging sea.  But I have been there before...desperately needing someone or something to lift me out of some not so great place I was in.  And there has always been someone who "pulled me from the water."  It's happened more times than I can remember.  I've posted about some of those times.  But there have been many many people who, either by their influence, by their friendship, or by their direct acts of service, have strengthened me when I needed it most.    
 
My favorite part of that song is when he sings the chorus for the second time (and every time after that) and he's not alone anymore.  LOVE LOVE LOVE that...

I know that we are not alone.  I know that especially when things are difficult and we are struggling, Heavenly Father is aware of our needs and will send people who are willing to help.  President Uchtdorf said in that talk, "Let us strive to be among those whom the Lord can rely on to hear his whisperings and respond."  I have been the one praying for help before.  If it's now my turn to help someone else, I hope to have the opportunity to do that and the ability to hear the prompting and act on it.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment