Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday

We're on week 2 of the Scout Master's business trip.  Today was one of those days that could have been potentially disastrous, especially with him out of town, but it wasn't!  Our ward recently changed from the 11:00am schedule (which I LOVE) to the 9:00am schedule (which I don't LOVE that much).  This morning, I was on the program to sing, so I had to be at church by 8:20am.!  I'm totally capable of getting up and getting myself ready and out the door by 8:20am, but it's all those other people who live in my house that occasionally hold me up.  I prepared every possible thing I could last night so there wouldn't be any reason for delays this morning, but with 4 little variables, you really can never be totally prepared.

But today was one of those days that went perfectly smoothly.  (I feel comfortable saying that now that it's 5:47pm and I'm finished with all of my responsibilities for the day.) 

I made it to church for the early rehearsal. 

The special musical number was In Humility Our Savior.  I sang with 5 other women and it was amazing...really!  You know that kind of group where you just blend together perfectly and you can't distinguish between the voices?  Well, that's what this group was like.  I honestly don't know what it sounded like to the rest of the congregation, but I could hear the women around me and I couldn't tell their voices from mine, and it was a complete and total joy to sing with them, so that made it a success for me.  It's been forever since I've sung in a small group like that.  What an amazing privilege!

This is a different arrangement than the one we sang today, but I can't find a recording of that one, and this one is beautiful, too.  (I LOVE Hillary Weeks!!)

Then, after Sacrament, as I was walking down the hall to Gospel Doctrine, one of the Primary Presidency caught me and asked me to play the piano for Sharing Time.  That is my all time favorite calling in the whole world.  If I could do that for the rest of my life, I would.  So I happily filled in for the absent pianist and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Then I taught the lesson that I've been preparing for the last three days to my cute little group of Beehives.  Dating...ugh!   (There's a lot more work required for a YW lesson than for a Primary or RS lesson, I think.) How do you teach that topic to a group of girls who really could care less about boys right now?  One of them, in fact, has vowed that she's never getting married because boys are stupid.  The lesson was amazing, though.  The girls participated.  I said the things that were important.  And I think they all got something out of it.  They still liked me at the end of it and that's always a good sign.

After church, the kids and I came home and watched a movie and then made chocolate chip cookies for the parents who drove half of my seminary carpool for me last week.  I'm so grateful for people who jump in and help when I have to be a single parent...at 7am!

This afternoon at choir, guess what we practiced!!  Abide With Me  Oh, how I love that hymn!  It's way up there on the list of my favorites and I would happily sing it everyday, so it was the perfect ending to a perfect Sunday.   

I'm not sure what we're having for dinner tonight or what we're doing with the remaining 3 hours before bedtime, but so far the day has been 100% perfect, so it really doesn't matter.

And tomorrow is Institute!  Yay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment