Monday, January 9, 2012

Books


I'm not calling this post, The Hunger Games, because I can't actually say that I LOVED this book.  But that's where I spent the day...in Panem with Katniss and Peeta and 22 other teenagers fighting for their survival.   


Right before Christmas break, Spell Girl checked out The Hunger Games from the school library along with about 10 other huge books.  I had reservations about letting her reading this one because people I love have had some strong opinions about it.  Everyone seems to have something to say.  People I admire and trust have LOVED it, and other people I admire and trust, like my mother-in-law, have HATED it.  (She read it for a book club a few years ago and called as soon as she finished it pleading with me NEVER to let any of the kids read it.) 

I told Spell Girl that I wanted to read it first, and then we would talk about it and decide if it was appropriate or not.  Unfortunately, cookies and holiday responsibilities beckoned louder than Katniss and Peeta, and Spell Girl got to the book before I did.  She devoured it in a couple of days and loved it.  (Devoured...that's kind of an ironic word choice, but that's what she does with a good book.)   I don't always screen my kids' books.  They are voracious readers and there are not enough hours in a day to preview everything all four of them want to watch, listen to, or read.  So at this point, I have to trust their judgment.  They have all been armed with gospel principles and Church standards, and are very capable of making good decisions about their media choices.  After she finished it, we talked a little about the book and she said that it was disturbing, but interesting, and she handed it to me.  It's been sitting on my nightstand for a week waiting for me to open it.  So finally, on Sunday night, I decided to do what I said I was going to do, and read the darn thing.  

Within the first few pages I was hooked.  I knew the premise of the book.  I knew that it would be intense and vile...and it is definitely that.  But I expected to hate it...and I didn't.  I was completely riveted.  I was totally engrossed until 11:30pm when I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.  And then, as soon as my morning responsibilities were finished, I curled up on the couch with a blanket and got right back into the arena with those kids.  I took a break for Institute and lunch, and afternoon carpool, but I lingered on the couch for the better part of the day.  It was the perfect rainy day to just read, and the perfect escape for a long, exhausting weekend...and I LOVED getting lost in this book. 

First thing tomorrow morning, I'm going to the library to see what else I can find to get lost in.  I'm not sure it will be Book 2 of The Hunger Games, but I'm sure there's something amazing I haven't discovered yet.    I LOVE that I found a reason to turn everything off and READ.   I should do that more often. 

2 comments:

  1. C and I have read all Three and really enjoyed them. J is reading THG now.. haven't asked how he likes it yet.

    I just finished "The Witness" by Dee Henderson. I really enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I heard the third book is disappointing. I can't decide if I want to dig into another one or not. But...they only take about 24 hours to get through, so...why not?? :)

    ReplyDelete