Monday, December 5, 2011

Houston

If someone had told me a year ago, that I would eventually have a blog post called Stuff I Love...HOUSTON, I would never have believed them.   My parents lived in Houston for several years when I was in high school and college and then retired to a Houston suburb later in life, and I didn't love it then.   The humidity, the concrete freeways, the subdivisions and strip malls were not at all appealing when I was younger.  (They're still not.)  And I remember saying on more than one occasion after I left this state, that I would NEVER want to live here again.  

Things change...and we've discovered that not all of Texas is like Houston.  


This weekend, we had the opportunity to spend a couple of days in Houston for Spell Girl's latest accomplishment.  I still don't love Houston that much, but we had such a great time over the weekend and we did so many fun things, that I sort of have to credit the whole city for the fantastic and memorable experience.  We spent most of our time downtown and LOVED it.  

 Dinner Friday night at Hard Rock HOUSTON
 I have no idea what's up with June.  That's her face of the week...ugh...11 yr olds!

After dinner, we walked over to the County Courthouse for the Annual Christmas Tree Lighting...


That's Ruben Studdard from American Idol...very cool

They did a huge fireworks show when they lit the Christmas tree...amazing!

On Saturday morning, we went to the Houston Aquarium (it had to be it's own post), and did a little sight seeing...
 Theatre District...we couldn't resist getting a picture of Spell Girl with that giant bass
 I love that there is ART everywhere in downtown Houston.

 The tree from Friday night

I am humbled and happy to admit that there are beautiful things about this place that I had written off years ago.  I'm so glad we had the chance to go back there and find them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment