Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sunday

I LOVE Sundays.  

This morning I woke up in a grumpy mood...probably that hour of sleep that I lost... 
I was grouchy with the kids.  I was irritated that the kitchen always seems to be a mess when I walk into it.  And everyone was SO slow getting ready.  But I said a quick (and I mean really quick) prayer on the way out the door, that I would be in a better mood once I walked into church and that I would get something out of the meetings.

A few great things happened before the meeting even started.  We got there early (which was actually on time today because this was TCD's first day as chorister.)   The Bishopric set her apart in her new calling and gave her a beautiful blessing.  We sat in our usual spot for the first time in weeks because we were there on time.   And we got to see a preview of the special musical number (which was amazing!)  All that stuff by itself lightened my mood quite a bit.  So now all I needed was to hear something relevant that would get me through the rest of the week.  Usually, that sort of thing happens during the talks or the lessons.  But today, it was during the Sacrament that I got my little personal revelation.  I was distracted by a million things and all of a sudden realized how casually I was taking the whole thing.  And then part of a quote started ringing in my ears...something about "I find that when I get casual in my relationship with divinity..."  That's all I could remember.  I didn't know where or when I had heard it.  I couldn't remember who said it.  And I couldn't remember what he said he finds when he's casual in his relationship with God.  Here's the awesome part...I had my phone with me (because I always have my phone with me) so I Googled that quote and within seconds I had found the whole quote.
"I find that when I get casual in my relationship with divinity and when it seems that no divine ear is listening and no divine voice is speaking, that I am far, far away. If I immerse myself in the scriptures the distance narrows and the spirituality returns."  - President Spencer W. Kimball

So, that was the little thing I needed to be reminded of today.  I need to read my scriptures.  

I have become gradually casual in my "relationship with divinity" over the last few weeks.  I haven't had time to do the things that normally bring balance and serenity for me.  And I've replaced them with late nights, too much Diet DP, and running around instead of being still.  That little quote was exactly the reminder I needed to get me back on course.  And after I found it, and played it over and over again in my head, I heard little reinforcements of it in every single talk that was given through the rest of the meeting.  

Read your scriptures.  Read your scriptures.  Read your scriptures.  

So, guess what I'll be doing first thing tomorrow morning?  Yep! Starting from wherever I was when I left my scriptures a couple of weeks ago, and immersing myself back in them again.  Nothing brings greater peace and gratitude for me than spending time every day in the Book of Mormon.  I love that book.  And I love Sundays.  I can always, always count of getting something I need when I'm in the right places. 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment