Monday, March 19, 2012

The Color Code


I am a huge fan of personality tests.  I was a Psych major for a little while in college and while I didn't love everything about that course of study,  I definitely loved the personality tests.  Over the years I have taken a LOT of them...sometimes more than once.  I've given them to family members.  I've dragged friends out of their homes late at night to figure out what quadrant they fit into.  I've called my parents and subtle-ly worked test questions into conversations to find out what type they were.  I'm a little bit obsessed with fitting people into boxes, I think.  

So, I was thrilled a couple of weeks ago when the Beehive Advisor handed out a personality test to the girls during her lesson.  I tried to wait patiently until the stack got to me instead of rushing up and snatching the first one off the top.  When I saw the test, I realized I had taken it many years before, so I was even more excited to try it again as an older, wiser Haunani. 


This one is called The Color Code.  After answering 40+ questions, you can determine which of FOUR colors your personality falls into.   

RED = power
BLUE = love
WHITE = peace   
YELLOW = fun

I don't think anyone who knows me would be surprised at my results.  When I took it years ago, I was 90% this color.  And when I took it a few weeks ago, I was about 65%, but still dominantly BLUE.  (by the way...the other close runner up was YELLOW which was exciting because FUN and CONFIDENT haven't always been parts of my personality.  And it was also interesting that I had almost no amount of RED in my personality.)

Here's what it says about BLUES:   Blues are motivated by Intimacy. They seek to genuinely connect with others, and need to be understood and appreciated. Everything they do is quality-based. They are loyal friends, employers, and employees. Whatever or whomever they commit to is their sole (and soul) focus. They love to serve and give of themselves freely in order to nurture others' lives.

Yep...that's me..
 
The most fun thing about taking this test this time, though, was having Spell Girl take it, too!  And then coming home and giving it to TCD and the Scout Master.  (The other kids weren't interested...I'll get them in a few years!)

The Scout Master has taken this test before as well, and consistent with his "consistent and reliable" personality, his results were exactly the same both times.  50% RED 50% YELLOW (which, incidentally, makes him a great leader...driven and charismatic.)

TCD was also 50% RED 50% YELLOW which was a little surprising.  We're so much alike, that I thought she would be more BLUE, but she definitely isn't.  Our personalities are alike, but our motivation and thought process is very different.  The Scout Master was excited to know that she's actually a lot like him!

Spell Girl is...guess what!  99% WHITE 
Whites will do anything to avoid confrontation. Their only demands from life are the things that make them feel comfortable. That feeling fosters their need to feel good inside.  Whites are kind, considerate, patient and accepting. They are virtually devoid of ego. They are good at constructing thoughts that did not exist before, just from careful listening and taking time to think things through. Whites don’t commonly share what they are feeling, understanding or seeing. They won't express conflict. Whites may be unwilling to set goals. They dislike working at someone else’s pace. They can be very self-deprecating.

We were all stunned at how perfectly that describes Spell Girl's personality!  

After taking the test and commenting on everyone's results (and then speculating on June and Mack's results,) we put the test away and went about our lives...all of us except for Spell Girl.  Apparently she spent a little more time pondering what it means to be a WHITE because this morning she brought it up.

SG:  Mommy, I've decided I'm going to be WHITE.
Me:  Um...ok?? (remember it's been TWO WEEKS since any of us has talked about this test)
SG:  I've realized that I've been trying too hard my whole life to be RED and YELLOW, and it really doesn't work for me.  So I've decided to be true to my WHITE self! 
Me:  That's SO awesome!  I think you're going to be a great WHITE girl!!

That cute thing has no idea how much I adore her!  She's always pondering and contemplating things.  I love having a few minutes everyday to hang out with her and get inside her head.  And I LOVE personality tests!  It's nice to have a little self evaluation every now and then. 
 




 

1 comment:

  1. Okay, Haunani - Surprise of my life - it says I am BLUE!!! What??? I wasn't expecting that at all. I did the free test, and you have to pay to get the "full" test results, but as I looked further down, Blue is also described as:

    Blues have distinct preferences and have the most controlling personality. Their personal code of ethics is remarkably strong and they expect others to live honest, committed lives as well. They enjoy sharing meaningful moments in conversation as well as paying close attention to special life events (e.g. birthdays and anniversaries). blues are dependable, thoughtful, and analytical; but can also be self-righteous, worry-prone, and moody. They are "sainted pit-bulls" who never let go of something or someone once they are committed. When you deal with a BLUE, be sincere and make a genuine effort to understand and appreciate them.

    Okay - that described me better :)

    Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete