Thursday, February 16, 2012

Women at the Well


We're about two weeks away from the first performance of this amazing show.  Tonight we had another rehearsal, this time with all the sound equipment.  To say that this is totally and completely pushing me right out of my comfort zone would be a HUGE understatement.  Not only do I have to sing all by myself, but I have to do it with a microphone pack ace-bandaged around my waist, all while BEING IN CHARACTER and dressed as a Nephite woman.  I may have mentioned that I'm not the most comfortable EMOTING.  Being on a stage, playing charades, and hearing my voice in a microphone are all high on the list of things I wouldn't choose to do...right underneath camping.


But the amazing thing about this whole experience is that ALWAYS, ALWAYS when I go to these rehearsals, I start out scared to death, and by the time I leave, I am filled with confidence and complete love for this music and these women.  They are all so encouraging and kind.  I am honored and humbled to be part of this amazing group.  I have heavily interrogated all of the key players to try and understand how they picked all of us, but I can't seem to get a straight answer.  And then tonight, one of them said something that made me stop interrogating.  She said, "I want all of you to know that you were hand picked for your song and for this performance.  There is a very specific reason that each of you is here at this time.  You should remember that when you're feeling nervous. This is a calling.  And you will have all the extra help you need, if you ask for it."  Believe me, I'm asking...regularly and fervently.  This is hard...really hard...but it's not impossible.  And I've done hard things before.  I can do this hard thing, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment