Monday, August 29, 2016

Oktoberfest Season Has Begun


Guten Tag! 

So this week was another great one! 

On Monday evening we stopped by our Peruvian friends with some chocolate cake and visited with them a little. We are hoping to start doing weekly family nights with them soon, which will be so fun! 

Tuesday we had Zone Training in Munich, and it was really good! I had fun helping Sister Howsmon understand the German, and we both really learned a ton of new things that we can definitely apply to see the work grow even more in this area! One thing that we have both really been focusing on this week is mastering the message of the restoration. Because that is what makes us different! That's why we have the Book of Mormon, and the FULNESS of the gospel and God's authority on the earth today! We have been practicing teaching the restoration almost every single day, and it has really strengthened my testimony of the truthfulness of these events! I know that Jesus Christ really did live on the earth, and that he really did perform the atonement for us! I know that he was resurrected, and that after his resurrection he visited the people in the Americas. I know that Joseph Smith really saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and that he restored the priesthood, or the power of God, to the earth! I know that the Book of Mormon is the most true book on this earth, and that the Holy Ghost will guide us, direct us, and answer our questions if we pray with a sincere heart!

After Zone Training, we went back to bahnhof to head back to Augsburg, and I got to see NADINEEEEEE!! 

For those of you who don't remember, Nadine is my sweet investigator from Graz who will be getting baptized this June! I was so happy to see her and catch up with her! She is in Munich for about a month for a summer job, so hopefully I will get to see her again soon! 

On Wednesday we had a bunch of old lady appointments, but we had the opportunity to do the best service project I have done on my mission, for Sch. Weingardt. She has lots of hip/leg problems, so it's very hard for her to do a lot of normal day to day things! She has a lot of people that come to help her throughout the week, but some things still get lost in the mixture of it all. Like washing her feet. On Wednesday when we asked her what we could do for her, she shyly asked us if we would be willing to help her wash her feet. Of course we said yes, and this is embarrassing but I was actually getting emotional while we were doing it. I just couldn't help but think about my Savior, Jesus Christ, and how he washed his disciples' feet out of pure love for them (even though their feet were probably super disgusting). I LOVE being a missionary, and I loved the opportunity I had to literally do something that Christ did while he was on the earth! I am a representative of him, and I am trying to follow in his footsteps, and that made washing Sch. Weingardt's feet the best experience ever :) And she gave us some apples for doing it, so that was cool.

On Thursday we had a breakfast appointment with a family in our ward, and holy crap German breakfast is like a thanksgiving feast. Bread, butter, the whole winery of cheeses, wurst, all the fruits from the Garden of Eden, tea, juice, boiled eggs, tomato-mozzarella salad, and every vegetable that could possible be grown in a pot on a porch. Germans do not believe in real breakfast food apparently...haha. #lunchforbreakfast. But it was SO GOOD. Frohed myself. The best part about the appointment though was that THEY BROUGHT A FRIEND😭😭😭 first time going to a member appointment where they brought a friend without us having to ask. And this friend is super cool, and super ready to accept the gospel!! We showed her the restoration video, and then the Bertele's just killed it bearing their testimony and explaining all about the church, so yeah it was pretty amazing. #miracle. We could all see those gears churning in her head by the end :) She said she would come to the ward temple celebration next Saturday, so we hope to see her soon! 

The weekend was a strange one! Fireworks in the middle of the night that looked/sounded like Germany was entering WW3, drunk people causing a ruckus all day long, random giant parades through the middle of the city, and so much trachten!! We finally figured out that Oktoberfest season has begun, and we just so happen to live right next door to the Augsburg Oktoberfest! So crazy!

This weekend we had a lesson with our investigator Izu (who is making sky rocketing progress towards his baptism in a couple weeks, by the way! He's so awesome!) and we were bearing our testimonies about how we can overcome temptation. I told him that when I feel tempted to do something wrong, or a bad thought pops into my head, I immediately pray to Heavenly Father to help me overcome it! He asked, "and does it always work?" I realized that no, it doesn't always work. But I told him that Heavenly Father isn't a magic genie who grants wishes. We can't just pray to Him for help, and then sit there and continue doing what we were doing before. We have to do our part, and then Heavenly Father will do His part! D&C 82:10 "I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." I know that when we try our very best, but still fall short, the grace of God will be there to lift us to where we cannot go. The atonement is real. Our Savior loves us and took the sins of the world upon him so we can return to live with our father in heaven. Turn your face to the light of the Lord, and you can overcome darkness. 

Love y'all!

Liebe Grüße,
Sister Thunell


No comments:

Post a Comment