Friday, February 18, 2011

Amazing Hair Stylists

Can you be in love with a hair stylist??  I've been looking my whole life for the stylist of my dreams and it's possible that I just found her today.  

So here's the back story before I gush anymore...

I have A LOT of hair.  It's super thick.  It's long.  And when left unattended, it wants to be frizzy and unmanageable.  
see...thank goodness you can't see this any closer
 Therefore, I am forced to spend a lot of time on it.  

Blow Dry until it's totally dry and mostly straight (this usually takes about 20 minutes with scheduled breaks)
   
And then I set it with hot rollers! (another 15 minutes while they work their magic)

On a typical day, the whole process takes over an hour.  (No, I definitely DON'T do this everyday.)  But the craziest thing about that routine is that when I'm finished and I walk out of the bathroom, it always looks like I could have spent a little more time on it.  I never feel like my hair has that "finished" look.  And after 40 years, I had pretty much given up on ever having really GREAT hair.
It's possible that this is an exaggerated example of a bad hair day.  And it's possible that I may have perfectionist tendencies.


I mentioned to a friend, earlier this week, that I desperately needed to get my hair cut and she referred me to her hair stylist, Lauren, with a warning that she was a little far away and a little expensive.   But I really, really wanted a good cut, so I made an appointment, and crossed my fingers. 

Apparently that "finger crossing thing" works!  Today was the best hair experience I've EVER had IN MY LIFE...NO exaggeration.  Totally happy surprise! (that keeps happening lately!)  And after two hours, at The Johnny Rodriguez Salon, I realized that I have been wrong all these years.  I actually have amazing hair!  Apparently, it's had tons of potential - I was just doing it wrong!  I asked her to put lots of long layers in it and then I let her style it.  I never let them STYLE it!  They almost NEVER style my hair the way I like it, so I usually just leave a salon with it wet and fix it when I get home.  This time, I thought I'd be daring.  And once again...I was happily amazed!!    

Here's what it looked like after... 

These were taken with my phone, so they're not as good as seeing it in real life.  (You'll have to come to DAL if you want to see the actual amazing-ness!)  She even made my unmaintained highlights look awesome!  And it feels like silk! (instead of straw)  And it SMELLS delicious!
I'll have to save some grocery money every month so I can go back to Lauren again in about 3 months!  Did I mention she's the hair stylist of my dreams???  Today, I LOVE LAUREN!






1 comment:

  1. I TOTALLY understand!! I discovered an amazing hair dresser here, and it was devastating when she took a couple of YEARS off to have babies! She just did my hair (cut, color, highlights) in her KITCHEN a couple of weeks ago, and it was THRILLING!

    You look great by the way - can't wait to see the hair in person next week! :)

    ReplyDelete