Sunday, April 7, 2013

Conference Weekend Part 2

We had such a great day listening to Conference again.  We invited our sweet friend, Casey, over to watch it with us, and started the day with yummy breakfast burritos...always a huge hit in our house.  I love to watch Casey as she listens to Conference.  She takes notes on every talk.  Today she counted the number of times the talks said something about baptism.  And because she had prepared herself to hear the words of the Lord, she recognized the frequency of that word BAPTISM as a personal message to her to ask her parents, yet again, for permission to be baptized.  I am so grateful for the continued association we have with this amazing young girl who is so faithful and so sure of her testimony.  She is an example to all of us.  And someday, I hope soon, we will all have the pleasure of being witnesses as she steps into the waters of baptism.  We are all anxious for that day.

There were so many talks throughout the weekend that stood out for me.  

Elaine S. Dalton's talk on being virtuous daughters of God.   I will miss her so much as the General YW President.  She has been an amazing example of an articulate, confidant, spiritual woman who we could all look up to.  
Elder Craig Cardon's talk on the healing power of the atonement.  "The Savior wants to forgive."  
President Henry B. Eyring's talk on drawing closer to the Lord through our service, our obedience and keeping the commandments of God.  
Rosemary Wixom's talk on the power to influence our children.  Today I let myself say to my children more than a handful of times, "I love everything about you!"

The thing I love the very most about Conference is that we have the ability to listen to the words of church leaders over and over again, as many times as we choose to or need to.  I LOVE that so many of the talks that have touched me the very most have been used in Mormon Messages.  The beautiful videos along with the words of my favorite speakers narrating throughout become such an added visual, and help to cement those words more deeply into my heart as well as the hearts of my children.  

I love that the church website offers nearly-instant access to the Conference talks in written, audio, and video format.  

I love that the sessions of Conference can be recorded on the DVR so that I can go back immediately or the next afternoon and re-watch Conference all over again.  I love that we can also use it to rewind a talk and catch something we may have missed.  This afternoon when Elder Jeffrey R. Holland started to speak, we were not quite finished making a late lunch.  We all let out a collective groan when we heard the announcement that Elder Holland would be the first speaker.  I tried to hurry the food process along, but it was loud and distracting for everyone.  Thankfully, the Scout Master remembered the miracle of technology that we have available and he paused the afternoon session for about 15 minutes until we could all get our plates and get settled to hear every word Elder Holland had prepared.  That was a talk I'm sure I will be listening to repeatedly over the next few weeks.  

I saw this Mormon Messages video on another blog this morning and thought I'd pass it along.  As everyone has already heard way too many times, President Eyring is always my favorite speaker in Conference.  His voice is the one I recognize.  His voice is the one that calls me from other rooms.  His voice is the one Heavenly Father uses most often to speak directly to me. 

http://www.lds.org/pages/mormon-messages?lang=eng

I am so grateful for the uplifting and hopeful words that we were able to immerse ourselves in over the weekend.  I can think of no better way to spend a weekend than gathered with the people I love the most in the world, watching and listening to the inspired leaders of our Church.   

No comments:

Post a Comment