Sunday, May 29, 2011

Spell Girl's Talk


I have promised my children that the minute they stop being amazing and inspiring, I will stop writing about them.  Until then, everything they do is subject to becoming blog material.  

Today, Spell Girl spoke in Church. 
A Temple is a place of order, a place of peace, a place of love, a place of beauty.  It is God's home.  It is a place for worshipping.  We should all visit the Temple regularly.  Elder Gary E. Stevenson of the Seventy has said, "even our young children have been encouraged to visit the Temple grounds and touch the Temple."  I have only been inside the Temple once, but I hope to go again very soon.  My parents and grandparents have been good influences for me by going to the Temple regularly.  My grandpa is a Sealer in the Logan Temple which makes me happy because that means one day he can seal me to my husband.  

In my grandparents' house, there is a balcony that faces toward the Temple.  It is always fun to go out there and point it out to each other.  Sometimes I feel like sitting and staring at it forever.  In Mosiah 2:51 it says, "And they pitched their tents round about the Temple, every man facing his tent with the door thereof toward the Temple, that thereby they might remain in their tents and hear the words which King Benjamin should speak unto them."  This verse reminds me of the balcony at my grandparents' house.  You can face the Temple and feel the peace and love it brings.  

Temples have always meant a lot to me.  I have four different pictures of Temples in my room:  Mesa, AZ; Fresno, CA; Laie, HI and Salt Lake City, UT.  They are four Temples that I find extremely beautiful.  

Temples are sacred, but our homes can be sacred, too.  Your home should be a peaceful and loving place with uplifting music and pictures throughout it.  It should be a place to say family prayers, have Family Home Evening, and read scriptures together.  You should also have your own place to say personal prayers and have personal scripture study.  Your family should love one another and obey their parents.  Nobody's perfect so you might not have peace, love and order all the time, but if you try hard to, your home can be a sacred place that is inviting for the Spirit.  Imagine that your home is a Temple.  Would you ever feel stressed out or angry?  Would you ever say or listen to negative things?  God's home is the Temple.  It is sacred.  Your home is your Temple.  Work hard to keep it sacred, too. 

In Elder Stevenson's talk from General Conference, there is a story about a day when his father and sons were on a drive together.  As they drove, they found themselves in an unfamiliar area.  As his father asked his grandsons if they were lost, one of the boys pointed out the Temple and said, "Grandpa, you are never lost when you can see the Temple."  I believe that that statement is true.  You cannot be lost if you can see the Temple.  The same can be said about your home.  Because how can you be lost if your house is visible?  I'd like to end my talk by bearing my testimony that I know the Temple can help guide us.  I know that our homes can be a sacred place.  And I know that Heavenly Father is watching over us no matter whose home we are in.    
We have been extremely fortunate over the last few months to hear our children speak and perform multiple times in Church.  It is always amazing to listen to their talents and their testimonies.   And I am so grateful to be their mom.  

1 comment: