Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Visiting Teaching Message



Dear Savannah, 

Since you don't get to go Visiting Teaching anymore, and you probably don't get to read the messages, here is part of the VT message for March:
“And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. …“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them” (Genesis 1:26–27).God is our Heavenly Father, and He created us in His image. Of this truth, President Thomas S. Monson said: “God our Father has ears with which to hear our prayers. He has eyes with which to see our actions. He has mouth with which to speak to us. He has heart with which to feel compassion and love. He is real. He is living. We are his children made in his image. We look like him and he looks like us.”1“Latter-day Saints see all people as children of God in full and complete sense; they consider every person divine in origin, nature, and potential.”2 Each is “a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents.”3“[The Prophet] Joseph Smith also learned that God desires that His children receive the same kind of exalted existence of which He partakes.”4 As God said, “For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39).
I went VTing this morning which was great, but they have a giant dog that apparently wants to marry me so that was a little distracting and I'm also super allergic to it because it's a fluffy golden retriever so I had a hard time trying not to sneeze during the entire visit.  And also I didn't connect with her as much as I was hoping to (the sister, not the dog.)
But!  Here was the great thing about the visit.  Today was Opposition Day.  Like, as great as yesterday was and as enthusiastic as I was about life and all the stuff on my calendar for the week, I woke up this morning feeling like it was all just way too much and not very exciting anymore and I mostly just wanted to crawl back into bed and live there.  I hate days like this.  I fought it all morning and really, the last thing I wanted to do was go VTing.  But I got specific instructions during my morning prayer to read 2 Ne 4 (specifically v16 to the end) which I thought was a little odd because why did I even need to go back and read the Psalm of Nephi? and what in the world did that have to do with my day of opposition??  But after I read it, I realized it was totally relevant.  And then I was supposed to read the conference talk of the day from this IG feed that I follow (30daysofconference) and it was Elder Andersen's Faith is Not By Chance, but by Choice.  Awesome talk!   And then I was supposed to read the VT message and get ready to go VTing. There was also a CSM photographer conf call in there this morning from 11-12.  Crazy morning!

I only had time to quickly skim that VT message before I left.  But then when I was sitting in that sister's house, I read it out loud and all of a sudden, I thought, "Whoa! This is exactly like what Savannah just wrote in her email about being converted by using all five ...or at least four...senses!"  And I read that part of your email to that sister.  And I thought that's exactly WHY we were created in the image of the Father, so that we could understand and FEEL and SEE and HEAR the way that He does.  We are supposed to be like Him. That is by design.  And He intends for us to use all of those senses that He designed us with to find Him and return to Him. 

So, little missionary mouse 🐭 I just wanted you to know that you are more spiritually in tune than you probably even realized when you wrote that clever little thing in your email yesterday!  

I also just wanted to tell you that I know your emails about as well as I know my own blog posts or my own pictures or any of my own creations.  I read them and re-read them, and I learn something every time you send something home.  I love all that you're learning and experiencing and I'm so grateful that you are able to articulate all of it and have a desire to share it with all of us.  It makes a huge impact at home.  

Love you to pieces!! 
❤️ mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment